2 min|Rhiannon Lockhart
Simple Summer Smoothie RecipeWellness, Nutrition, Recipes
Summer always leaves us craving more fresh and hydrating foodsThat's why people will often crave items like smoothies! Green smoothies are an easy way to pack in a lot of nutrients, especially if you're on the go. There's always a not-so-secret template I follow to make a smoothie, no matter the time of year! Following this means that you will stay full and energized.
You smoothie building template:
- Base of water or low-carb milk (like almond). Skip the oat milk and fruit juices which can add unnecessary carbohydrates that leave your blood sugar skyrocketing
- 20-30g of protein. If you like protein powders, go with your favourite. Alternatively, you can try hemp hearts or collagen powder.
- A good source of fats like nut butter, avocado, coconut milk or MCT oil to help keep you full.
- Stick to 1 fruit, or smaller portions of a few fruits. Unless you're using this as pre-workout fuel, you likely don't need the high-carb fruits like ripe bananas, pineapple or mango. Apple, berries or citrus fruits can work quite well.
If you are using a smoothie as a snack, you can decrease the protein and fat content, or remove your fruit!
Try this Simple Summer Smoothie with berries, adapted from Downshiftology. This one could make a great, heartier afternoon snack to bridge the gap between lunch and dinner time.
Ingredients (makes 1 serving):
- 1 cup of water
- 1 handful spinach
- 1 cup cucumber
- 1 kiwi
- 1/4 avocado
- 4 tbsp hemp hearts
- 1/2 cup frozen cauliflower (optional)
- 2 tbsp. collagen powder (optional)
- Add all ingredients to a high-speed blender. Blend until all ingredients are mixed together, serve.
Do you want more easy summer recipe ideas to suit your lifestyle and dietary habits? Talk to our Registered Holistic Nutritionist to make healthy eating work for you!
Rhiannon is the Registered Holistic Nutritionist at Integrative. She has a passion for making healthy eating easy, accessible and fun, loves getting outside, and enjoys spending time with her dog, Chloe!