Seed Cycling works to benefit the regularity and health of the entire cycle by supporting our hormone production, binding and metabolism. Different seeds contain different types and amounts of lignans and essential fatty acids. Lignans help out body to bind up excess hormones whereas fatty acids help with hormone production. Together they work on balancing hormones throughout the entire menstrual cycle. It is best to have flax and pumpkin seeds during the first phase of your menstrual cycle & sesame and sunflower seeds during the second phase.
- Flax & sesame seeds are full of lignans which block excess estrogens
- Sunflower seeds are high in selenium, a trace mineral, that is essential for the liver’s detoxification processes.
- Pumpkin seeds are high in zinc which supports progesterone release. Together, these seeds will balance your cycle when taken in the appropriate phases of your cycle.
Monthly Seed Rotation Plan:
- Days 1-14 – 1 tbsp freshly ground flax and pumpkin seeds daily
- Days 15 – menses – 1 tbsp freshly ground sunflower and sesame seeds daily
The best way to grind seeds is with a spice/coffee grinder. Prepare a few days’ worth of seeds and store in an airtight container in the fridge. Do not prepare to far ahead as the fats in the seeds can oxidize quickly when ground. It will usually take about 3 months before any significant changes in hormone levels and subsequent fertility occurs. Remember to give it time and be consistent.
Get the Latest from Integrative, Delivered
Semi-monthly content, directly from our team, straight to your inbox.