Neurotransmitters – GABA
GABA: The Calm Prescription
Serotonin is like the alternator in your car, recharging your brain and body so it is able to handle a new workload every day. The remaining 17% of the population are Artisans, defined by the neurotransmitter responsible for the Mind-Body connection.
Artisans are always in the moment, always seeking tangible, immediate results for their actions. Self-worth is perceived from short term accomplishment rather than long-range goal attainment. Artisans play at work, with tools and equipment or by conceiving new ways to do repetitive tasks. They usually have excellent hand-eye coordination. Artisans are intensely loyal, engage in passionate relationships, but avoid being tied down.
A serotonin deficiency will show up as diminished brain wave symmetry – there is a disconnect between the right and left sides, a breakdown in the mind-body connection. A depleted battery in your body has distinct signals, and there are many ways to recharge it.
Symptoms of GABA Deficiency:
- Physical – carbohydrate cravings, flushing, butterflies in stomach, lump in throat, ringing in ears, muscle tension, trembling, twitching, numbness or tingling in fingers, hyperventilation, blurred vision, abnormal sense of smell, abnormal odors, unusual allergies, night sweats, tachycardia, chest pain or discomfort.
- Psychological – restlessness, feelings of dread, emotional immaturity, short temper, phobias.
- Memory Function – poor verbal memory.
- Attention Issues – Impulsivity, disorganization.
Conditions/Diseases of GABA Deficiency:
Tinnitus, anxiety, hypertension, chronic pain, cystitis, irritable bowel and other gastro- intestinal disorders, PMS, insomnia, seizures, stoke, bi-polar disorder.
Multi-Modal Treatment for GABA Deficiency:
- Diet – caffeine free herbal teas, banana, rice bran, citrus fruit, whole grains, brewer’s yeast, brown rice, broccoli, molasses, liver and other organ meats, lentils, halibut, baked or mashed potatoes, tree nuts.
- Vitamins/Supplements (ask your practitioner if any of the following might be a good option for you) – inositol, thiamine, riboflavin, branched chain amino acids, GABA, glycine, kava kava, valerian root, passion flower.
- Lifestyle Recommendations – relaxation, non-scheduled activities, delegate tasks, aerobic exercise, outdoor activities (walk in nature, hiking, beachcombing, kayaking, etc.).
When you are in your element, methodically accomplishing your daily tasks and helping others to do likewise, without being the center of attention, you are experiencing the GABA Edge Effect.
Get the Latest from Integrative, Delivered
Semi-monthly content, directly from our team, straight to your inbox.