Hormones and Fertility
Women and men of all ages can suffer from hormone imbalances. The hormone cascade is complex and includes more than the sex hormones estrogen, progesterone and testosterone. Cortisol and thyroxine (thyroid hormone), respectively from the adrenals and thyroid, are two examples of non-sex hormones that crucially impact our energy and health.
Both sex and non-sex hormones play a role in fertility, aging, strength/conditioning, and degenerative processes like cancer. We believe in assessing hormone balance as part of a complete health care regime.
If you have any of the following, the Integrative Hormones and Fertility program could be especially important for you:
- Breast pain or swelling
- Prostate discomfort, difficult or frequent urination
- Low or changing libido
- Fertility concerns and optimization of female and male hormones
- A history of hormone replacement therapy or birth control pill use
- Persistent issues with weight gain and fatigue
- Issues with acne
- Insomnia and poor energy
- Irregular, heavy or painful menses
- Difficulty with menopause or other hormone transitions associated with aging
- Pre and postpartum hormone changes
- A family or personal history of hormone related cancer (breast, ovarian, prostate or cervical)
Hormone imbalances do not occur overnight. Our Naturopathic Doctors will identify your personal risk factors to develop an individualized program to ensure your optimal hormone health.
Risk factors for hormone disturbance include:
- Estrogen exposure
- Stress factors
- Physical and emotional well being
- Prolonged period of illness
“I’ve had phenomenal success combining herbs, supplements and acupuncture to improve fertility and balance hormones.”Karen Lam
The Integrative Approach to Hormone Health
You will meet with your Naturopathic Doctor to review your history, any hormone concerns and risk assessment before completing an appropriate physical exam. Most of us only associate our hormones with the reproductive organs; however, because our hormones have wide reaching effects they may be contributing to a symptom that initially seems unrelated.
Your doctor may request specific hormone testing completed by urine, blood or saliva. Depending on the hormone being measured a particular collection method may be preferred. Once we determine your hormone baseline we are able to appropriately begin treatment with lifestyle modifications, botanicals, natural supplements or bio-identical hormones. We will retest your hormones as needed to ensure that you are functioning at a healthy level.
To find out more refer to our hormone balancing page.