Makes 4 servings
Recipe adapted from – Whole Foods
· 2 cups rolled oats or steel cut oats (NOT instant or quick cooking oats)
· 2 cups milk of choice (almond, coconut, etc.)
· ¼ cup chia seeds
Combine oats, milk, and chia seeds in a bowl and stir until well combined. Scoop into four mason jars or other single serving containers. Refrigerate overnight. In the morning top with desired toppings and enjoy.
Recommended Flavor Variations:
· Tex Mex Savory Oats – for each serving add 1 tbsp fresh salsa (I like Fresh is Best brand), 1 tbsp crumbled feta, ¼ avocado sliced, and season with sea salt and pepper.
· Peanut Butter and Banana – for each serving, add 1 tbsp unsweetened peanut butter, ½ banana, sliced, and 2 tsp coconut oil (melt before adding if eating cold OR stir in after oatmeal is heated)
· Chocolate Chia – for each serving, add 1 tbsp raw cacao powder, 2 tsp real maple syrup or honey, and 1 tbsp chia seeds.
· Pistachio and Pineapple – for each serving, add 2 tsp coconut oil, 2 tbsp shelled pistachios and ¼ cup chopped fresh pineapple
Other DIY Topping Options:
· Protein powder, collagen powder, nuts/seeds, nut or seed butter, coconut oil, fresh or dried fruit, shredded coconut.